Monday, November 28, 2011

Believe it or not...I'm back again.  


Angels Among Us


At this time of year, whether you are Christian or not, there are symbols and icons of the season that are certainly recognizable to all of us.  The jolly old elf, trees, stockings, stars, nativity scenes, shepherds, bells  and angels--to name a few.  Angels feature prominently in the story of Jesus's birth.  First, angels foretold Joseph and Mary of the virgin birth.  Then,  the news of His birth was given to shepherds by an angel, who was then joined by "...a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.'" (Luke 2:13b-14)  


Perhaps your faith--or lack of faith--does not allow you to believe in this story.  Maybe you doubt the existence of angels and the caution given in Hebrews 13:1-2--"Stay on good terms with each other, held together by love.  Be ready with a meal or a bed when it is needed.  Why some have extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it!"--The Message//Remix.  


However, I fully believe that God sends angels among us.  Not robed in glowing white, winged and wearing halos--but disguised as one of us.  Listen to my stories with an open mind and then make your final judgement.  


My first encounter with an angel came when I was 16 years old, working my first job at a small florist.  I was making a delivery in the shop's old light blue station wagon.  It was twilight, raining and the windshield wipers did not work.  I made my delivery, ran back through the cold drizzle and began to back out of the narrow gravel driveway.  Somehow, I miscalculated the distance and wound up with the rear axle sitting atop a brick edging between the drive and a drainage ditch.  This was before cell phones and I was standing forlornly in the rain staring at that right tire suspended helplessly above the ditch and wondering what to do when a Plumber's van pulled off the street and a slight, middle-aged man hopped out.  In a matter of minutes, I was safely back on the road and wondering at the kindness of strangers.


My next automotive angel came about 16 years later as I drove my van through morning rush-hour traffic on my way to work.  Flying down the interstate at about 65 mph, smoke began pouring up through my hood, coating my windshield with a film of gray.  I pulled off at the nearest exit into a convenience store.  Once again--before cell phones--so I went inside and asked to use the phone.  I called my husband's office, which was 20 miles from where my crippled van sat.  While I was on the phone, a young man walked into the store and offered his help.  He was a Fed Ex driver and lived near by.  He went to his house to get a part and came back and fixed my van.  I tried my best to pay him or get his contact information to mail him a check.  He would not hear of it.  He just told me that he hoped someone would do the same if his wife needed help.  My heart was touched at the generosity of a total stranger.


My next angelic visitation came from a more familiar face. One Christmas season working retail, I was nearing the end of my day.  I'd spent hours on my feet, helping impatient shoppers, trying to get my department ordered and periodically taking a turn on a cash register.  My nerves were stretched, my blood sugar felt low and a customer had just decided to vent her ire at me because something was not on sale.  The line of waiting shoppers looked at me with sympathy as I fought back tears.  (You have to know...I don't cry that easily.)  Several even shook their heads in disgust or murmured "Unbelievable" at the hysterical woman.  Finally, she left and I turned aside to get a tissue and wipe the tears that were threatening.  There was one of my regular customers standing at the back side of my register with a decorated brown paper bag in her hand.  


"Pam," she said, " I am so sorry for the way that woman behaved.  That was horrible."  The tears were continuing to threaten as I heard the other shoppers echoing her sentiment. "I just felt like you might need a treat today,"  my loyal supporter went on as she held out the bag.  I realized that it was a gift...decorated with the items that she purchased often from my department and tied with a bit of curling ribbon.  Inside was an embroidered tea towel in blue and white.  As I hugged her neck, the tears fell and I knew that God had sent me a gift of hope and encouragement when I needed it most.


I could write a book about the angels that God has sent my way through the years.  Sometimes I don't recognize the angelic aspect of their visit until much later.  Reflecting on the wonder of a kind word, a hug, a phone call, note card or just the kindness of a driver letting me out into traffic when I'm running late...that's when it hits me that God knew how much I needed some hope, encouragement or friendship...and HE provides.  


Reflect on moments in your life when miraculously your needs have been met. It might have been something as simple as a smile and a friendly, "Hello!"  at a moment when your heart was heavy.   Perhaps you will begin to believe in angels, as well.  
Listen to this song by the group Alabama:
http://www.topcountrymusicvideos.com/alabama-angels-among-us/



No comments:

Post a Comment